Wednesday 2 March 2011

World events

We have all been moved and saddened by the earthquake(s) in New Zealand. It is at times like these that we look outside of our immediate circle and feel a connection to the wider world - either through sheer compassion or through some link, some thread which binds us to the people affected. We know that our fellow Unitarians have been affected.

Similarly the unrest in many parts of the Arab world cause us to feel a concern for our fellow human beings. I am in awe of the sacrifices that people will make for freedom and self-determination. I am hugely grateful that my forebears have fought many of these battles for me.

It is in these seemingly dark days that I wonder about my own strength and courage. I realise how small and insignificant I am but I am drawn to ask the question, 'How can I help?' Knowing that there are people, mostly unknown to me, who are doing things - organising ways to donate money, providing aid and assistance on the ground, organising media for expressing support, sending pictures to grab the world's attention ... Sometimes just being there prepared to do things is what is needed.

It reflects that today, as always, there are significant numbers of people who are brave and resourceful, who want to make a positive difference to the world. When people moan about the world today and the people in it I think that they must be living in a different world to me. There are always acts of kindness or courage or principle, often within spitting distance, that should move us if we could but see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment